Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Final Days

My classes ended yesterday, and I hardly know what to do with myself. Just kidding. I totally took a nap this morning and loved it. Classes went well. I learned more than I imagined and will be a better teacher now because of Bread Loaf. People have been leaving in droves the last day and a half. I've said goodbye to some pretty great people, and I'm a little sad. I have mixed feelings about me still being here. I am happy to get a few days to relax and enjoy the Vermont countryside, but I am also really anxious to go home. I've missed my family and the Browns too. I have to stay until Saturday because I'm on the dining hall wait staff. There isn't much work for us until Saturday night. We have to serve at the graduation banquet. I hear the ceremony is pretty cool, but it will be nice to get on the road. My mom is flying in on Saturday morning to drive back with me. She'll only be here that day, but I already have lots of plans for us. So much to see, so little time.
Anyway, Mom has the drive planned out but we should be back in Utah on the 11th, and I'll be in Gunnison on the 12th. The Browns (the couple I live with) are leaving for their mission on the 17th. I'm sure their family will be around and that will be fun to see everyone. I can't believe there is so little time between my arrival and their departure. It will be sad to say goodbye to my second family.
School starts the 24th and there has been an adjustment to my teaching schedule. Snow College has agreed to let me teach College English at the high school. I am so excited and have been planning curriculum since I heard the news. It will be great to have see the Seniors in class again.
In short, I'm stoked to be coming home in a few days. I really can't wait to see the Utah Mountains and the faces of my family and friends. See you soon!

The pictures above are of some of the people I've met here. A few from the Suppressed Desires dance (you dress as your suppressed desire. Yes the costumes were creative). But most of them are from the wait staff reception. The school through us a cocktail party where we got dressed up and the faculty served us instead of us serving everyone. It was a lot of fun. The planners were even considerate of the fact that I don't drink. They had sparkling cider :) My Mormon friend John and I really appreciated it. We had a blast and took many pictures.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I'm so excited for all your fun new adventures (teaching a college class, etc) and to be able to see you. Drive safe!

Kim said...

I'm so glad you had such a good time! These kinds of experiences are priceless (except the price of tuition... what can you do?). Enjoy your last few days in Vermont, and be safe coming home!

Kassie Jane said...

much love to you. . . I'm excited to see you again!!

farnsworthfamily said...

im not sure if you remember me, Mariah James as you might know. but i truly think of you and where life has taken you. i was just browsing and came across your blog. i hope you dont mind. it looks as if life has treated you very well. love lots mariah