Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A rant for education

*Disclaimer: I usually keep my opinions to myself because I like to be agreeable. I smile and nod during conversations I disagree with, and that's fine for me. But this particular matter needs me to open my mouth and not sit back idly. I've been reading "Civil Disobedience" with my students this week, so maybe I'm doing my part to cause friction in the machine. Just sayin :)

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm a teacher, and I don't know why. Well, I know why, but lately I don't know why anyone stays in the profession expect they think they are getting something done. Something meaningful too. So I accepted a lifetime of crappy pay when I selected the major. I didn't always think I'd be the one income in my life. But regardless, I accepted the pay. I even accepted it in Utah. I could go, literally, anywhere else and make more, but being close to home is a big bonus. But personal reasons for staying in this job are beside the point. I love teaching, so they'll probably have to kick me out in 28 years with or without a retirement.
I went to an Association meeting today. Yes, I'm a member of the Association, and I think every teacher should be a member. The Union really has my back, and I'm learning just how much they do for teachers. At our meeting today we got introduced to some proposed budget cuts the legislature has planned for us in the near future. For some reason, they feel that the education system isn't worth investing more money in. In fact, they are proposing some serious budget cuts--anywhere from 1-5%. Even in a small district like mine, that's more than a million dollars (at 5%).
For obvious reason (like my salary), this infuriates me. But on a deeper level, I think everyone is getting cheated by this. Do you have a student? You're getting cheated out of the best education for your student. Do you own a business? You are getting cheated out of future educated employees, AND money that could be put back into the economy. Putting money into education is good for everyone. Even if you think your school has "crappy" teachers, and you don't think they deserve to be paid more, putting more money in education is a good idea. I bet everyday someone has an internal battle of "Do I make some sacrifices and do what I love (teaching)? Or do I choose something else so I can afford the lifestyle I want?" And, I bet everyday teaching loses someone that could become a fabulous teacher. If the teaching profession were a little more competitive, I bet those "crappy" teachers would shape up, or at the very least schools could find someone to replace them.
So here's the bottom line. Something has to change. The economy isn't as bad as it was a year ago. It will be slow going, but things will have to get better. But at the rate things are going in Utah, the trend in education spending will only get worse. Teachers can't keep doing more for less, and with out the support of voters and other citizens, nothing will change. I'm not asking anyone to do anything but maybe pay attention to the legislation this year. Email your representatives to encourage them to vote in favor of education friendly bills. Don't vote for people who won't fight for education. You may not care what kind of retirement I may or may not get in 28 years, but you might care how much your school has to let go because the legislature won't fund education. Utah is dead last in all 50 states in per pupil spending by nearly $1000 per student. Can that number get worse? Apparently, yes. Be proactive. Whether you are a teacher, wanted to be a teacher, are related to a teacher, or ever had a teacher that made a difference in your life, don't sit by and let the world happen. That's no way to run a democracy. If we want to be ruled by the people for the people, you have to do something more than sit back and watch. Be the people.

(dismount soap box) For happier news read the fun Thanksgiving stories below.

3 comments:

Chad and Mandi said...

AMEN!!!!

Kim said...

Bahhh! Frustration!

bret and family said...

I am over taxed, and will be even more as the Boomers retire. Student populations are on a decline, why not drop taxes, shouldn't per capita spending on educations be steady? Did we over build schools to deal with echo boomers, and now must deal with the reality of closing buildings and reducing work force in ED? I am for per capita increases in ED, but it should end up being a gross decrease in the Tax burden.