Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Cool Revolution

Okay, this sounds geeky, but it's spring break and I don't have a lot to do. I've been watching episodes of The Office and Community on hulu because I don't have time to watch TV during the week. So I got all caught up on my shows and found a new one. Jamie Oliver was on David Letterman talking about his Food Revolution show that just started. I was intrigued and happy to find the episodes on hulu. Anyway, I am such a fan. Basically he is taking school lunch by storm in a town in West Virginia. I know it's hard to make the healthy choice sometimes, but I really think Jamie Oliver is onto something. I remember as a kid thinking it wasn't right to be eating chicken nuggets, french fries, rolls, and corn all in the same lunch, but what was I supposed to do about it. Even as a teacher now, I rarely eat school lunch because I recognize how bad it can be for me as an adult (although very tempting). School cooks have a hard job and have to follow an insane amount of guidelines, but I really think this revolution thing is a cool idea. I got on his website and signed a petition for change. Who knows what will happen. It's just nice that this is one thing we can change in our country after feeling so helpless about others. Changing how kids (and adults) view food could be the best thing we can do to take a healthy stand as a nation. So kudos to you Jamie Oliver. He's got an impossible job, but I don't think he should have to do it alone. Check out the show and his website. www.jamieoliver.com Plus he's got some ridiculously awesome recipes on his website.

1 comment:

The Charlie and Jessica Donaldson Family said...

I've heard of that show and also thought, "That's really cool." There are some things that definitely need to change in todays society, and how we view food and health is one of them. I will be checking out this website, for sure.