Saturday, January 24, 2009

Grad School News

I guess the excitement continues. After news in my family of an engagement, a baby, inauguration fun and so much more, life continues to move  full speed. I got a letter yesterday letting me know I got accepted to my preferred grad school. It is called the Bread Loaf School of English and it is a program run by Middlebury College in Vermont. It is pretty prestigious. I hadn't heard of it before, but my Aunt Sara says it is a great school. That was confirmed by some people from Vermont I met on a bus in D.C. It is a summer 8 week program. You attend 4 or 5 summers and get your master's degree. The coolest part is they operate from four different campuses: Vermont, North Carolina, Santa Fe, and Oxford. I am elated. By going with this program, I can keep teaching the rest of the year in Gunnison and travel around the world in the summer. Now isn't the best time to give up a good job, so I am counting my blessing with this program. Plus it will be easier for me to pay for school if I'm working full time. I applied to two other programs and will probably wait a little bit to see if I hear back from them, but this program fits so well into my life right now that I think it is the smartest (and most adventurous) choice. I know a lot of you are rooting for me to find a husband and get married, and my chances of doing that while staying in Gunnison aren't high, but I really am happy here. I love my job and the kids I teach, and for now that is enough. 
Anyway, you know me. :) The next adventure has presented itself, and I'm off to greet it. I get to live in Vermont for 8 weeks-- a dream of mine since I visited there the summer after my senior year. It's funny how life works out so differently for different people. 

3 comments:

Kim said...

So cool, Arti! I'm very excited for you. What exactly will you get your degree in? Masters of English or Education or something else? You are going to love it!

Erica said...

Congrats Arti!! That's so cool. I'm always rooting for you!!!

Andee said...

Congrats!! That is awesome! Something new and exciting!