Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mr. Congeniality

I took a quick trip to St. George this weekend to watch Holland run in the Mr. Dixie pageant. He was great. Honest, I am usually the first to give Holland a hard time, but he was fantastic. The contestants all participated in an opening dance number. Holland was FABULOUS. His facial expressions are something I will remember forever. He was pretty cute. For his talent, he caught various food items in his mouth-- one behind the back, another tossed by someone 30 feet away, etc. The audience really enjoyed it. His evening wear consisted of a smoking jacket (DI jacket turned inside out but looked snazzy) and a pipe that blew bubbles. During his question someone poked a tray through the turned and allowed him to refill his pipe so he could blow more bubbles. It was hilarious. At the end of the night, he didn't win the overall title, but he did get Mr. Congeniality. The whole thing was very entertaining. Bret, Lori, Faye, and I cheered and cat called all night for Holland and had a blast. 

On the way home, I had another adventure. I witnessed a motorcycle accident. I was driving north of Cedar when a motorcycle I had been playing leap frog with since the city was passing me at 80 mph. I looked over at him and imagined how cold it must be for him, when all of a sudden he looks like he is a x-games competitor. He veered off the road over the shoulder swerved into the snow and skid several fit on his bike. I pulled over immediately, thinking to myself that I am glad I am CPR certified, and ran to make sure he was okay. To my surprise and the surprise of several other drivers, he was fine. Seriously shaken up and upset about his bike, but fine. Another lady and I gathered up various things he had lost or thrown off in the tussle-- suitcase, side view mirror, part of a blinker, helmet, gloves, glasses-- while he tried to get his bike started again with the help of a two other guys. The police and EMT's showed up in really good time and checked the guy out. I filled out a witness report for the first time in my life, and hopefully the last. The highway patrol trooper asked me a few questions and let me go. It was crazy. I thought the guy would be seriously injured. Not many people can say they walked away from a motorcycle accident at 80 miles an hour. I am pretty sure the foot of snow on the side of the road saved his life, but he's a really lucky guy. 

Anyway, it was a crazy weekend. Oh, and maybe you want pictures of the pageant, but alas, Bret and Lori's camera was dead, and I left mine on my bed. Holland said someone taped it for him, so maybe we can get a copy and post it somewhere for all of you to see. Later-

No comments: