Tuesday, September 22, 2009

NAMI Walks for the Minds of America

Hey Everyone!
I know my brother Bret has a similar post on his page, but I figure that I might have a few different followers than he does. I know a lot of you don't know everything about my life and my family or what I spent two summers between college terms doing with my time, so let me just take a second and fill you in:

Jobless, moneyless, and hopeless I found myself at the mercy of my parents one summer. By some sort of Providence (or the whisperings of the Spirit, whichever you prefer) a member of my parent's ward asked me to come volunteer at her work. Two days later, I was getting paid the big bucks(not really but enough) to put all my talents into the NAMI organization. NAMI is the National Alliance for Mental Illness and does a lot of great work educating the public about mental illness. They are all about fighting the stigma and the power, getting legislation passed and helping families and consumers in need. I fell in love with the people at NAMI, and more importantly, the work. I had never worked for a non-profit organization, but I quickly caught the vision and came to terms with some of my own issues. As a daughter, sister, and friend to people who have dealt with mental illnesses, NAMI helped me see what I can do to help those close to me and myself through some pretty dark times.

I don't want to get too sappy or reveal too much about the people I care about (falling victim to the stigma here, but they aren't my stories to tell). BUT, what I really need you all to help me with is a donation fundraiser. It's sort of short notice, but NAMI is sponsoring a 5k this weekend in SLC, and my immediate family is joining me. We are trying to round up as many donations as possible to help with the fundraising goal. I have a personal goal of $100, and so far I have collected zero. The money raised here goes straight to NAMI Utah: Our own local entity that does things in our state to help people you care about fight the good fight. I used to help run this event, and I know it is all legit. They don't even give out free swag (for the sake of pure honesty,they do give out donated prizes from sponsors).

Seriously though, anything you can offer will help. $5, $10, whatever. If you go to my walk page, you can donate straight through the site. I've used it before, and you won't get attacked by emails and no one will give out your info.
http://www.nami.org/namiwalk09/SLC/artio
Also, if you have nothing to do Saturday at 10:00 feel free to join me. We're walking at Spring Mobile Ball Park. Join Team Voldemort today by following the above link, or at least help us meet our fundraising goal!

Love you mean it,
Arti O.

4 comments:

bret and family said...

great new title picture, that was my favorite jacket that uncle scott gave me. I loved that bike and that park. The park had toys made of railroad ties in the shape of small forts. I remeber it also housed a cub scout day camp where I shot a real compound bow...

Nicole Anderson said...

Arti! I found your blog through your post on facebook. I don't have my card with me now, but I'll try to remember to get onto your walk web and donate! I hope life is good and that teaching is fabulous!

harmonie said...

I really wish that we had an extra cent to spare at our house. Good luck with the donations and the walk. See you Saturday night!

Amber said...

If we can meet up before that morning, I can give you some cash... that's my best offer. :) I really want to help! Love you!