Friday, September 18, 2009

New Post (for lack of better title)

I don't know what happened. I used to be so good about updating my blog, and here I am waiting weeks and months between updates. Mostly that's okay. I'm only sparing you all from hearing about the trivial monotony of my life. Going to school all day and coming home, doing nothing and going to school the next day doesn't provide much fodder for the blog. But, a few things have happened. These week I was treated with my brother Holland's presence. Since he is the Dixie recruiter for our area he stayed here for two days while he made the rounds to all of the high schools. It was fun to hang out. One night while he was here I had a party for the high school club I advise. We had a great time entertaining my students, playing games, and trying out the new Beatles Rockband that one of my students was kind enough to bring for our playing enjoyment. I keep trying to think of reasons not to buy a gaming system and then I remember that it would probably take over my life. :) So it was fun to have Holland here.

School is going fine. I went to the football game tonight and had something funny happen. I am in charge of the Junior class fundraiser for prom, and one of my students came to get me when they were finished selling things in order for me to take the cash box. Apparently I was sitting near his mom and grandma (who is just here visiting. she's not from town.). Later I was walking around the bleachers and walked past this same student with his mom and grandma in tow. My student (who is a boy) says, "Ms. Olsen, I have a funny story." I said, "Yeah? What's that?" He looks at his grandma and says, "Nevermind. I'll tell you Monday." Of course my curiosity is peeked and I urge him to tell me. My student's mom chimes in. When he came to get me for the money box, his grandma asked my student's mom if I was the girl he had asked to Homecoming. I guess my student's mom told grandma that I was his teacher. She seemed pretty embarrassed about it, but I laughed pretty hard. I told her it was fine, that I am still fairly young. Anyway, I thought it was funny and yet another example of why sometimes it's awkward being a young, single teacher. Ah the stories I can tell. But hey, it makes me glad that I can still pass as a high school student. That's why I dress up at school. Otherwise nothing would prevent me from blending right in.

Not much else is going on. I am going to the State Fair tomorrow with my friend Kassie. I have never been, so it should be fun. I posted pictures from our fun night at the Sanpete County Fair. We went to the rodeo with my other friends (and Kassie's sister and brother-in-law) Mike and Lacey. We had a blast.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Bahhh! No good, Arti-o! It's okay though. New counselors and trackers at my school ask me for my hall pass still.

Anonymous said...

great story - you are a hoot Arti!