Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Fun

Halloween is so fun. I usually like to leave town and visit one of my brother's places to enjoy the little kids trick-or-treating, etc. this year, I stayed in town though, and it was kind of fun. On Friday night, I went to a party with my Creative Writing and Arts Club. We called it Poetry in the Dark (an knock-off of Poe in the Dark from Utah State). I wanted a cool place to have the party so we could decorate and lounge at our convenience. Instead we had it in my classroom. :) No, for real it was pretty cool. I took all the lamps I could find from the Brown's house and took them to my room. It created the perfect low light atmosphere. I got a light up pumpkin and some orange twinkly lights too. The room looked awesome. I pushed all the desks to the wall and brought in camp chairs to put in a circle. It was much more conducive to poetry reading. If only I could have built a fire. . .

My club members brought snacks and I put together some Ghoul-ade (purple and orange kool-aid and ginger ale) together over dry-ice inside a cauldron. Yeah, it was cool. We started by reading "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe. Then my students took turns reading things they had written or scary stories they knew. It was awesome. After the chilling stories, we watched "The Three Amigos." I know it isn't very festive, but they have cool costumes, and I try my best to give my students some pop-culture in their lives. I am a teacher after all. All in all, it was a success, and hopefully a tradition we can carry into the future.

Halloween day didn't amount to much. I went to a piano recital for an adopted niece, Jennie, and then I spent the rest of the day grading papers. Yipee! The quarter ended Friday. 'Nuff said.




Kassie and I dressed up for Halloween. Kassie was a butterfly and I was a pirate. Kassie did my make-up (and hers). She's so talented. We didn't get one together because we weren't ever dressed up at the same time. I only got in this one pose of me before my camera died. So laugh if you will, it was fun.

Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

The Judd Family said...

I love the costumes! You look cute! That sounds like a fun Halloween. Your students are lucky to have you as a teacher.

bret and family said...

did you see Ron the PARKS AND REC pirate?