Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Stupid Stapler!

It all started a few days ago, and I don't know who to blame it on yet. My students were turning in all their papers at the end of the quarter, using the stapler often to keep their many papers together. I have (had) two staplers: one was a slick black stapling machine, and the other is a stupid, old, brown, sticky, jam-easy contraption. Last Friday I went to staple a few papers together when I noticed my cherished black stapler was missing. I've looked for it for a few days now, and I can't find it anywhere. (Maybe it's in the ceiling with the markers my students put up there . . .) Anyway, today I was stapling a lot, and getting fed up with my old stapler that gets jammed every time I staple something, and only actually works 50% of the time. So naturally, I went to the supply room and retrieved a replacement for my nice stapler. This new stapler, shall I name him Stanley, looked promising. In its shiny, never-been-used condition, it worked like any stapler should. It opened and closed smoothly. Yes, very promising.
I grabbed some staples to put inside Stanley when it happened. Pure evil. I closed the lid of the stapler and suddenly, I had a staple in my FINGER! Not just like poking in a little, but like, flush with my skin. A STAPLE! My yearbook students were sort of gathered around me when it happened. I laughed and cried and laughed to put off the actual pain. It hurt real badly. I had to go watch a class for the teacher next door. They probably think I'm crazy (they probably thought that before) because I was laughing really hard, but really I was crying too. It only bled a little, and I soaked it in Hydrogen Peroxide (retrieved by to caring yearbook staff members) because who knows where that staple has been. Now its sensitive to the touch, like when you get your finger pricked while donating blood but ten times worse!

I guess it's been a hard few weeks for Olsen fingers. If you've seen my brother Bret's blog, you'll know what I mean. I guess my puncture wound pails in comparison to his 18 stitches and a nicked tendon, but it hurts. Bret said he was stupid, so I guess that makes me a moron. I mean really, who staples themselves on accident?

I wanted to take a picture of my owie, but there isn't much to see. The wound is in the middle of the red circle. I drew around it so you could at least tell where the entry occurred. Regardless, I had fun with my computer's camera. Enjoy laughing at my expense.

5 comments:

The Judd Family said...

Arti, I feel your pain. I stapled my finger once and it wasn't that long ago. It wasn't in as deep as yours, but I remember how bad it hurt.

Amber said...

I think the Stanley is out to get you! I'm sorry, that really does hurt. :(

Kim said...

Oh, so sad! And yet, so hilarious... but mostly sad.

DuncanAndCandice said...

I love you!!! I am sorry to hear about your finger :( and I am sorry I laughted the whole time I was reading your post, it made my day :)

Kassie Jane said...

I continue to giggle. 'nuf said