Thursday, June 24, 2010

Yearbook Camp

Whew! What a quick few days! Last Saturday I flew home to Utah to attend Yearbook Camp with two of my awesome yearbook staffers, including the editor. Camp started Monday, so I spent Saturday evening with my mom (after two horrible flights--I've never felt sick while flying until then). Sunday I went to church with my mom and had dinner with my dad and brother Cody's family. It was a nice Father's day evening.
The real work started Monday morning. My friend Kassie drove my two students up to SLC in a district car (because, well, I was carless). She is great and I hope to repay such a huge favor in the future. I had to ride the bus to trax and meet them at the station, which was fun. I was running late so I did my make up on the bus with wet hair. I've never been one of those people before and it wasn't bad (nothing against those people however . . .) Anyway, we spent three days at Snowbird with fellow yearbook nerds (the only better kinds of nerds are English nerds and that's who I spend the rest of the summer with), and right from the get-go my girls were working hard, designing layouts, creating theme ideas, taking copious notes in meetings, and completing every task. I am really proud of them and the work they did. All that hard work paid off too. They won the grand prize for the concept we created (in competition with schools our size, which was a lot). Now we get free, full color endsheets, which is awesome and expensive. Woohoo!
I took pictures but can't find my camera in the vicinity. I'll look harder and post some later.
I'm back in Santa Fe as of Wednesday late night. I conveniently was able to volunteer to get bumped from my earlier flight to take a later one. I got a $200 voucher, which ain't bad, but I barely made my connection in Denver. That is one large airport. But, I'm "home" and right back in the game. I had two classes today and thankfully was ahead enough that I was right with my classes. However, taking a 5 day "vacation" means I'll be spending every free second reading a few books and writing two papers this weekend and early next week. Maybe I'll go on one excursion this weekend. If I do, I'll post pictures. Otherwise I'll go for a walk or something and take pictures to post next time, since I'm sure you won't want me to write about my close reading of one of Thomas Hardy's poems or the significance of silence as a rhetorical theory. Yeah, that would be boring . . . Well you might think so, but I am fascinated. Well, until next post I'll be your nerdy friend/relative Arti 8)

2 comments:

Summer Navarrete said...

so your song reminded me that we went to see newsies together at the dollar theater in sugar house forever ago. Then we would watch it over and over when you would come to stay at our house and oogle at the boys.

Kassie Jane said...

you're right . . . yearbook camp does sound nerdy :)