Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Good school day

After my vent about misbehaving students last time, I thought I would talk about something good for a change. Today in school the superintendent came to talk about bonuses. The faculty gathered in the library (which has a secret door to my classroom). Last year my class decided to be as loud as possible by yelling, wrestling and wreaking havoc. I had to leave the meeting to quiet them and was mortified that the superintendent, and the rest of the faculty, heard them like that. My students were very repentant for the rest of the week. I got really mad. 
So this year I was worried. I could hear my class trying to listen through the door at the beginning. They weren't loud, I just chose to sit close to the door just in case. I could hear the murmur of voices throughout the meeting, but nothing much. The meeting gets over and we clapped because we got a little bit of money, and I heard my class start clapping. I smiled to myself. I walk in ready to settle any misbehavior, but instead I see one of my students had found our regular vocabulary worksheets and passed them out. Someone turned on some music (which I usually do anyway). They were talking, but generally getting things done. I was so proud. They mentioned they tried to read the book we are reading as a class, but they wanted to wait for me. They are such good kids when they think about it. I was just beaming with pride and joy. Anyway, thanks kids for making my day. (oh, the surprise money helped my mood I guess ;)

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh, Arti! You are awesome! I really didn't know you had a blog otherwise I would have stalked you earlier. I'm glad you had a good school day! Are your kids as crazy as mine with the break coming up?