Tuesday, October 28, 2008

*Sigh

Well, the good news is here. I am done with my stake conference talk. I know I sounded stressed about it and I was, but now I feel great. I talked about what I thought the general membership of the church should know about its young single adults. Kind of an obvious topic to give a girl like me, but I made the most of it. Instead of talking about weighty hardships and the possibility that we could all be wallowing in our own vast loneliness, I talked about how cool it is to be single. You know the bright side. . . .  I talked about all the cool stuff you can accomplish while being independent. For the most part, I was just glad that is seemed like people were listening and not sleeping through my 10 minutes of talk time. In fact, my branch president gave me a wink and a nudge and told me he even stayed awake (which is a feat for him--I don't think I've seen him stay awake through an entire sacrament meeting yet). I got a lot of kudos (even from a few students), and it felt nice. People seemed to appreciate the light-hearted message about singles. I also got to see some people I haven't seen since being back in the valley. It was cool, and I'm glad I had a little help from a higher power to get my message across. 
Now that's over and things are fine. School is going okay. I am in a teacher slump right now. I have so much I need and want to teach my students that I am depressed that I can't get to it all; therefore, I don't know where to start. I just wish they could know what I do about reading and writing. Then, maybe they'd appreciate its power. 
I finally got my GRE scores back. I did better on parts than I expected and worse on others. Deadlines are coming up for applications, so I am rushing to get everything done. The Breadloaf School of English seems to be my best bet for the type of program I want. It is a summer program that takes about 4-5 summers to get your Master of Arts. It has an adventure element to it, too. I can study in Vermont, North Carolina, Santa Fe, or Oxford, England. It's designed for teachers, and I really hope it works out. I am also applying at USU. Something about that school keeps pulling me back. U of U will get an application from me too, but it seems like a pretty tough program to enter. Their application process is the most intimidating at least. I just wish it were obvious where I'll be living 7 or so months from now. 
Man, my mind is wandering tonight. Better go before it escapes me completely. 

2 comments:

Leda said...

Arti! You did great! People around me even laughed at your jokes! (me too) I loved how you brought out the great part of being single! You are a great example of living life...the way your life is! Good for you! I'm glad it's over for you. But you really did do a great job! YOU ARE MY HERO!!!

Now, on to bigger and more challenging callings! Right? Good luck with it all. They're lucky to have you in their Singles Ward!

lori said...

Way to go on your talk. I'm sure it was great. Good luck on your applications. Some day it will all make sense...

P.S. Did you watch the new 30 Rock? "We're not the best people. But we're not the worst...Yeah, graduate students are the worst."
(Liz and Jack)