Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What's Next? I mean, seriously!

WORD! I realized today that life is hard. Now, I know most of you figured that out a long time ago, but I am a little on the slow side apparently. No, I'm kidding. I've always known this whole surviving thing would be difficult, but life has been crazy lately. So like I mentioned on my previous post, I have been preparing for the GRE for a month or two. I took it on Saturday. Finally. For weeks I have been living to that date. My thoughts consisted of, "Once I take the GRE, things will slow down. I can breathe then." Well I took the stupid test. (I did alright by the way. Probably about average. I won't know my percentile scores or my essay scores for a few weeks. Thanks for asking :)) So I got back Saturday from the test to MOUNDS of student homework to read. I realize this was all poor planning on my part, but I had two huge projects due this week for my students and it is the end of the quarter tomorrow. More seasoned teachers have told me just to assign points, but I always feel a little guilty for assigning something and then not taking the time to read it. Sure that feeling will fade with time, but for now I am reading everything, and it is a lot. (Did I hear someone say, "Whiner!"?) So, now I am thinking, "Just give me 'til Wednesday. Then I can breathe." 

(take a breath)


PSH! Ya right! Someone higher up has better plans for me. I was taking a nap on Sunday when I received a phone call here at the Brown's. Not many people call me here, by the way, that's why I have a cell phone. Kathy Brown told me it was President Anderson. I figured this to be my branch president so answered cheerily. Yeah, well it was Stake President Curtis Anderson! I knew I was in trouble from "hello." Stake Conference is in two weeks, and you guessed it, I am one of the speakers during the Sunday session. I only have to talk for ten minutes, and it will be fine, but I can't help but feel like my life is turning into "Get to this date, then you'll be fine." I mean what kind of way to live is that? Oh, I know. It's not that much fun! It reminds me of my college days-- living deadline to deadline, and essay to essay. I thought those days would be over once I entered the hum-drum reality of adult life. What the heck! I feel duped (gre word). Okay, I'm done. 


Whew . . . that felt good. Thanks for listening, or well, reading. A friend already gave me a pep talk (she's pretty good at it), but I just needed to whine a little bit more to get through this. You know, the whole concept that writing can be relieving, etc. 

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing some family and friends during the UEA break. That is if I get over my cold and dare get close to my nephews and niece. Ya, I'm sick too. I love appreciating those cherries that top things off in life. I'd stay and bless you a little more with my negativity, but I have more book reports to read. wOOt! 

Just get me to Stake Conference. Then I can breathe ;)


3 comments:

harmonie said...

Hugs. Our life is project to project, too. I don't know if it ever goes away. I personally don't know of this hum-drum adult life of which you speak. I love how you said "only 10 minutes." That sounds pretty substantial to me. We'll pray that you feel better and can make it through Stake Conference.

Kassie Jane said...

I love you ARTI! Thanks for being my roommate. I understand how you feel, but you just dashed my hopes that it would get better after I was done with school, but remember we can survive anything for 1 hour and 45 minutes. (ask me later and I'll explain the time frame).

Leda said...

Arti, PLEASE, never become a ‘seasoned’ teacher! I, for one, am very glad you READ each paper! And attempt to LOVE every child.:)
That is what the GOOD 'sesoned' teachers do!

I hope your enthusiasm for teaching never fades! You are great at it, KEEP IT UP!