Thursday, July 9, 2009

Julia Alvarez

So, here I am lost in my own academic pursuits brushing shoulders with some of the most intelligent people in the world, and people keep surprising me. No joke most of the professors here are "known" for something. I can't get over it. You've already seen my mention of Paul Mulldoon. Today I heard about this meeting for the teaching network that Bread Loaf runs. I'm interested, so I attended. Anyway, I walk in and guess who is there? Julia Alvarez, the Julia Alvarez. If you don't know her, I've got a link to her website. She wrote How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents among other works. She graduated from Bread Loaf and comes to hang out on campus a lot apparently. So, yeah. I'm flabbergasted to say the least. This is going down as a pretty cool day.

http://www.juliaalvarez.com/

1 comment:

Lori S O said...

Arti- you are the best! Check out my blog - thanks to you, I think I can do it again. We are so proud of you and thrilled you are having a wonderful experience in Vermont.