Saturday, July 4, 2009

Rainy Vermont Says Happy Fourth

Alright, if you haven't noticed my many status changes on Facebook, I am having a great time in Vermont. Everyday there is something new to do. Most of the week we are all bunkered down doing homework and reading in various places on campus, but when the weekend gets here, these people know how to have a good time. I've square danced, hiked, watched fireworks, swum in lakes, met lots of cool people and so much more. Oh, I've learned a lot too. My classes are enlightening. One is on the 20th Century African American Narrative and the other is titled The Language Wars. Mostly we've been talking about language loss of some cultures and peoples and the idea that cultural and language diversity can be useful as teachers and to individuals. Anyway, I'm enjoying all the geek talk about books and language. They are keeping me pretty busy too with reading and a few papers coming up this week. I love being a student again.
The weather has been unusually wet this week. Even though it has rained a little or a lot everyday, a group of us were hopeful ad anxious that the sun would come out long enough for a hike yesterday. The sun never came out, but we got out anyway. We hiked to Silver Lake in the rain and swam in the rain too. The lake was beautiful and it wasn't cold at all. I had so much fun sloshing around in my Chacos knowing no matter what I couldn't get much more wet so why avoid the puddles. We went on a different hike the weekend before as well to a different lake: Lake Pleiad. It was much smaller than Silver Lake, but the water was lovely and the sun was shining then. I am slowly, well not so slowly-I've only been here two weeks, falling in love with this place. It is green and the atmosphere is amazing. No where else in the world could I be hanging out with a bunch of cool (you might say nerdy) English teachers and talk about books, students, schools, classes, and Harry Potter. It's incredible.
To celebrate the Fourth of July a few of us drove to a nearby town, Bristol, and watched fireworks. It was a nice small town but they put on a really good show. I feel like a little girl every time I watch fireworks. I guess that is why I love the 4th of July so much. It's raining today, but that is okay. I'll be inside doing research and reading all day anyway. That is until the dance starts at 9. I love this place. Happy Fourth everyone. Here's to hoping your day is sunny, warm, and full of friend and family fun. (check out that alliteration). ********

1 comment:

bret and family said...

i'm glad you are having such a good time. We want to talk and say hello, text me next time you have service.