Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Nearly there

I just want to say that I have two weeks left of this beautiful place in Vermont! Classes end officially on Wednesday but both of my projects are due before that. I have one due Friday and the other on Monday, which means I can hike and play for almost a full week. Both of my projects are coming along fine and one I am especially excited to complete. I met a girl here named Heather. She is from North Carolina and teaches juniors (mostly African American) there too. We talked one afternoon and decided to put together a class exchange where my juniors and her juniors communicate with one another and even work together on a few things throughout the year. So far, we have come up with some great ideas and I can't wait to put them into effect. Don't worry, it hasn't caused any extra work. We are using it as our project for one (and a half) of our classes. I really hope my students enjoy the process. I can't even begin to imagine how much they could potentially learn from all this.
Working on all of this curriculum stuff has really got me thinking about the coming school year. I really miss my students and can't wait to get back to my regular life. Also, I've been away from my family for a pretty long time. I guess it's only been two months, but somehow the distance makes it seem harder to be away. Most of my family gathered in Pine Valley this last weekend, and for some reason I always get a little homesick over the 24th of July. It must have to do with the many memories and years of traditional family get-togethers. I haven't been for three years now, and with this master's program it looks like I won't make it for another four. So summer of 2014 look for me on the Pine Valley mountain. I'll be there. Anyway, wish me luck on the final push, and you'll find me back in Utah in two weeks from tomorrow (regardless of the luck wishing I'll be there. It's not like I won't come home if you don't wish me luck. Ah, I love language.)

3 comments:

Amber said...

I wish you luck and hope to see you upon your return! I'm so proud to have such an amazing cousin and friend! Let's please play when you get back!

Lori S O said...

I'm so glad you are having a great experience. I got a map to highlight possible paths home. I can't wait to see you. I love your blog and the music:)

Kassie Jane said...

I cry tears every night because I need a friend. . . I can't wait to have you back in Utah.
(my mommy and daddy are going to Africa *tears)